Personal Information Collected in Connection with the Challenge
During the Challenge, personal information will be collected from both entrants and participants in the Challenge (collectively “Participants”) as well as from voters who participate in the voting portion of the Challenge (“Voters”). The personal information that will be collected from Participants and Voters may include:
- Biographical information (including name, address, date of birth, and other background personal information);
- Information obtained from Participants during the application process and over the course of the Challenge;
- Comments and views of Participants in connection with the Challenge;
- E-mail addresses for Voters.
Entrants in the Challenge and all Voters must be of the age of majority in the province or territory in which they reside at time of entry or voting. If you are under the age of majority, you may not enter, or vote in, the Challenge and you are requested not to provide any personal information in an attempt to either enter or vote. If you are under the age of majority and wish to have your household entered in the Challenge you must ask a member of your household who is of the age of majority to do so. All minor children in households chosen to participate in the Challenge must have the consent of a custodial parent or legal guardian in order to participate in the Challenge. All Participants in the Challenge who are under the age of majority may be asked to sign a commitment form verifying their willingness to take part in the Challenge.
How Personal Information Collected in Connection with the Challenge Will be Used and Disclosed
Personal information collected during or in connection with the Challenge may be used for the following purposes:
- to assess Participant progress over the course of the Challenge and by the Challenge sponsors and judging panel to determine Challenge winners;
- to confirm the identity of Participants and Voters;
- for administering the Challenge;
- for awarding Challenge prizes;
- to monitor and track votes and the voting process;
- to confirm the integrity of the voting process;
- for advertising purposes to promote the Challenge and the purposes and results of the Challenge;
- to keep entrants informed about the Challenge; and
- to comply with legal requirements for the purpose of the Challenge and as may otherwise be legally required. In addition to the purposes noted above, we may also use and disclose personal information in order to comply with the law, enforce the Challenge Official Rules, to protect against fraud in the Challenge and to protect the property rights and security of the Challenge sponsors and of the Participants and Voters. Use and disclosure of personal information for these purposes may involve sharing personal information with fraud detection agencies and/or regulatory authorities including law enforcement authorities.
Sharing your Personal Information with Shell Canada Limited
Although application information will be processed through the Canadian Geographic website, Shell Canada Limited will have access to personal information provided by you. Where personal information is shared with Shell Canada Limited we have ensured that your personal information is protected through a contract between Canadian Geographic and Shell Canada Limited.
Retention of Personal Information
Personal information collected during the Challenge will be retained and used for as long as necessary for the purposes of the Challenge – this may include promotional activities in connection with the goals and objective of the Challenge, to promote and advertise challenge results and for other purposes relating to the administration, enforcement or compliance with legal requirements relating to the Challenge.
We may also collect or use anonymous/aggregated information. This is information that cannot personally identify you, such as cookies. A cookie is a small text file we place in your browser’s files. No one else can read this file. Cookies allow our server to recognize you when you return to our site, so you don’t have to re-register and so we can retain any preferences you may have given us. If you do not wish to receive cookies, most browsers allow you to be alerted when a cookie is sent to your computer, so you can decide whether to accept it. In some cases, if your browser is set not to accept cookies, this may impact your full use of the site and may prohibit you from fully participating or voting in the Challenge.
How the Sponsors Protect Your Personal Information
We make every reasonable effort to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of personal information under our control. Our security policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary.
Only authorized individuals and suppliers have access to personal information collected, use or disclosed in connection with the Challenge. We may use third parties to assist in the administration of the Challenge including in connection with the judging process. However, in cases where information is sent to or accessed by a third party, we ensure, through our contracts with them, that all personal information is handled and stored in accordance with applicable privacy laws.
Transfer of Personal Information Outside of Canada
Contest and Privacy Information
Canadian Geographic Privacy Officer
Suite 200, 1155 Lola Street Ottawa, ON
If you have any questions about Shell Canada’s use of your personal information please contact Shell’s Privacy Officer at email@example.com.
Date: August 2016