If you’re looking to get a new fridge or freezer (and recycle your old one, of course), consider this:
- Your fridge should be between 1.7 and 3.3 ℃
- Your freezer should be -18℃
- Top-mounted freezers use up to 20 percent less energy than freezers that stand side by side with your fridge.
- If you can live without the icemaker, then opt for a freezer that doesn’t have that option and save up to 20 percent more energy.
- If you think the fridge you have now is too small, try recycling it and getting a larger one. You’ll ultimately save more energy than having two refrigerators running.
- Buy new. If you’ve had the same fridge since 1990, it’s definitely time to move on. The most recent models are significantly more efficient than even 10-year-old models.
For more information, visit the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy.