How Big Are Your Carbon Feet?
Students will learn about the concept of carbon footprints and calculate their own.
- calculate their carbon footprint and explain its importance
- compare and contrast standards of living in Canada and those in developing countries (option 1)
- determine ways to decrease their carbon footprint (option 2)
Complete one of the following options. You will only be able to submit work and get credit for one option.
Option 1: Calculate your carbon footprint and compare it with that of someone in the developing world
Students will explore the concept of a carbon footprint. Students will then calculate their carbon footprint and that of someone in a developing country and compare the two.
Option 2: Calculate your carbon footprint and make changes to reduce it
Students will explore the concept of a carbon footprint, calculate their yearly carbon footprint and create a picture informing others how to reduce or offset their carbon footprints.
- Energy IQ - How does your energy use stack up?
- Go Green - How Big Is Your Carbon Footprint?
- Carbon Monster (Video)
- Global Footprint Network - carbon calculator
- Green Ninja (Youtube channel)
- Nasa - Climate Kids
- The Nature Conservancy - Calculate your Carbon Footprint
- World Wildlife Fund - Carbon calculator
Please respect all school and governmental guidelines and restrictions surrounding COVID-19. Review the 2021 CEDC COVID-19 policy here. This challenge does NOT require students to participate in an in-person event.